6ya Review: Get Paid To Help People Fix Things - Scam or Legit?

Are you an expert in a particular field? Share your expertise on 6ya, and earn up to $60 an hour!

Everyone’s got unique skills or interests. As for me, I love biking. I’ve spent years (okay, decades) tinkering with bikes and perfecting my riding form. I would consider myself an expert on the subject, but I’m definitely not pro-rider material, and I never imagined I’d ever turn my interest into a money-making endeavor.

Not until I discovered 6ya, that is.

6ya is an app that puts you in touch with people who need instruction or assistance on a wide range of topics (cycling being one of them). You get paid to provide that assistance via video chat or phone. The coolest thing about the app is that you can set your own schedule, and help people from the comfort of your own home.

For me, it was like working in a bike shop (a dream job of mine) without actually having to get out of the house or get my hands greasy. And the payout was pretty sweet. I made up to $60 an hour doing what I already loved!

6ya’s expertise groups

Not into bikes? No biggie. Cycling is just one category you can sign up for. Below is a comprehensive list of topics you can sign up for. Check it out- you just may be the expert 6ya (and its network of paying clients) is looking for.

Arts, Crafts & Hobbies
Baby Gear
Cameras
Camping Equipment
Cars and Trucks
Computers and Internet
Cycling
Electrician
Exercise Equipment
Fishing Equipment
Furniture & Decor
Handyman
Heating & Cooling
Home Appliances
Home Security
Jewelry
Lawn & Garden
Motorcycles
Office Equipment
Phone & Fax
Plumbing
Pool & Spa
Smartphones and Tablets
Tools & Hardware
TV & Video
Video Games
Watches

Qualifications for being an expert

6ya has a pretty stringent screening process for potential experts. And for good reason. With clients putting their faith in 6ya and its experts, the company needs to protect its credibility.

Here are the main qualifications you’ll need to fit:

1. Citizen or legal resident of the US.

2. At least 21 years of age.

3. At least two years of paid, on the job experience in the category you’re applying for.
    Unpaid positions such as apprenticeships or internships do not count.

4. Some categories will require a training certificate or diploma from a relevant course. Make sure you have your certificate or diploma handy in case 6ya requests to see it.

You should also have:

1. An iPhone 4s or newer model. 6ya currently only runs on iOS. (But Android and desktop versions are on the way)

2. Reliable internet connection. You’ll be assisting people via video chat, and choppy internet will make that difficult, or even impossible.

The application process

Do you fit the above qualification? Good! It’s time to apply. As mentioned above, 6ya is pretty particular about who it hires as experts, so be sure you put your best foot forward.

The application is a five-step process:

1. Download the 6ya app

Link: https://www.6ya.com/
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/6ya-instant-expert-help/id986974938?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fixya.mobile.android.sixya&hl=en

You’ll need the app to work for 6ya. While simply downloading the app won’t guarantee you get accepted, it’s a good idea to check out the app and familiarize yourself with it before proceeding with your application.

2. Fill-out the application form

Visit Become an Expert - 6ya to view the application questionnaire. It’ll ask you about yourself, as well as more specific questions about your professional experience and qualifications.

Pro tip: Your application cannot be edited once you submit it, so proofread it several times. You can contact 6ya directly to make changes, but that could reflect badly on you. So just don’t.

3. Take the video interview

This is basically a job interview but done online. Like any job interview, expect to answers questions about the stuff you put in your application form.

Pro tip: While this interview is done online, you still have to make yourself presentable. Put on a nice shirt, and make sure you have a nice, clean backdrop to do your interview.

Another pro tip: Bring some items relevant to your category. For example, during my interview, I had my mountain bike nearby and set up my camera in my garage. The interviewer saw all my gear, and that helped them determine that I was qualified.

4. Take the short training session

Yup, you still have to undergo training. But don’t worry, it’s not like you have to retrain for your chosen field. Training covers stuff that’ll enable you to work well under 6ya’s system, such as its rules, and expectations.

6ya will give you some basic info on your category, but I learned not to rely too much on that. Your expertise should be the main basis for conducting your job.

5: Start working!

Once you pass everything, it’s time to work! The 6ya app will connect you to people who need assistance in the field of your expertise. (More on that in a bit) Oh, yeah, there’s another thing…

Collect your signing bonus!

Once you get accepted, 6ya will provide $100 bonus! This is to show that the company is serious about getting the best experts out there.

Additional info

Are you an expert in multiple fields? Then apply for multiple categories! Being an expert in several topics multiplies your earning capacity. Just be sure to fit the necessary qualifications of each field.

It took me three weeks to get accepted, but I’ve heard some applicants get accepted in as little as two. If you haven’t heard from them after three weeks, you can contact them directly to learn the status of your application.

Once accepted, 6ya will send you a bunch of paperwork (including tax documents) you’ll need to accomplish and send to them. These papers are required for you to start training.

Once accepted, you will be considered an independent contractor, not a full-time employee.
That means you’ll have to file your own taxes and insurance.

Working through 6ya

Here what the actual work process is like:

1. Login to 6ya and switch your availability to “on.”

2. You can accept calls either via video chat or landline.

In my experience, sessions usually last around five minutes. Callers will have very particular problems or question, so be ready to think on your feet.

Losing calls

I mentioned that a reliable internet connection is a must, but don’t stress too much if the call gets dropped (either by you or your caller). It’s pretty easy to reconnect to your caller through the app. But be sure you don’t lose calls often.

Earning potential

6ya pays $3 per call that last over one minute. You won’t get paid for calls that take less than a minute.

I earned around $60 per hour on 6ya. As mentioned above, calls lasted an average of five minutes, but I still got enough one- or two-minute calls to hit $60 in a single hour.

I also need to set expectations- reaching $60 an hour was pretty challenging. I felt like a barnstormer taking jobs in quick succession. Your own mileage may vary, of course. But I recommend aiming for high turnover.

Payment Schedule

6ya sends payments on the 15th and end of the month.

Payments can be made via cheque or bank deposit. If you opt for the latter, be sure to set aside some buffer time. Bank deposits may take up to three days after each payday. Also, give ample time for deposits to clear and reflect on your account (this may vary depending on your bank).

Customer ratings and satisfaction

At the end of each call, customers will rate you based on your knowledge, and how satisfied they were with your assistance.

Honestly, this was my least favorite part of the job. I’m knowledgeable about my field, but I’m not the most outgoing person. Still, I took it as another challenge. Knowing stuff isn’t enough; I had to teach myself to be able to share that knowledge effectively.

In my experience, customers are usually generous with their ratings. If I end up stumped, it’s usually best to just come clean. That way they won’t waste time and can look for another expert. This is usually enough to salvage your ratings since customers appreciate the honesty.

Negative ratings and disputes

6ya will reach out to you if you score several low ratings in a row. If you feel that you were rated unfairly, you can always ask 6ya to review the rating, and hopefully, reverse it.

As with everything about working with 6ya, being upfront and transparent is always the best way to go about things.

6ya: the good and the not-so-good

Based on my experience here are the good things about 6ya, and the not-so-good things as well.

The Good

There will always be people who need info straight for experts, meaning you’ll always have a market.

Successfully helping a caller is a satisfying feeling.

Many callers have basic info on the topic they’re asking about. This makes it a bit easier for you to communicate how to fix the problem they’re facing.

The review system is my least favorite aspect of 6ya, but I count it as a good thing because it gives you a concrete account of how many people you helped.

Steady, reliable payment.

Flexible work hours. You can work as much or as little as you want.

The Not-So-Good

You have to work relentlessly and maintain a high turnover of callers to make this profitable.

Callers may be in a bad mood when they call you. This is understandable, given that they may be dealing with a problem.

The application process is extremely stringent. While you’re not a full-time employee, 6ya’s application process is just as stringent as most jobs. So make sure you’re really qualified before sending that application.

The Verdict: Legit or Scam?

Legit!

Once you get past the application process and manage a decent turnover of callers, you can make decent bucks through the app. Also, 6ya pays reliably; no shadiness or missed payment.

6ya Screenshots

Your Turn

So that’s my experience with 6ya. Now it’s your turn to share. Are you an expert in a certain field, and have you used 6ya to share that expertise?

Let’s hear your stories!

I like the idea of sharing economy jobs and fixing things instead of buying new ones, which is why I’m glad to have stumbled upon this 6ya review. I’ve tried some variations of this app when I first moved into this apartment a couple of years ago, with plumbing, carpentry, and electricity being beyond my scope of, ahem, expertise (which is facing the computer most of the time). Needless to say, I’m glad these apps and services exist because of a couple of practical reasons. Here are some of them in bite-sized pieces:

• These “experts” are easier to talk to for some reason. Before, I would go to agencies and talk to some middleman about the stuff I need fixing, and without fail, something always gets lost in translation. It’s either the tools that the service person brings are the wrong ones, or they end up not being able to fix anything at all. With apps like 6ya, I can see if a person is equipped to help me (and if they have actual certification in their area of expertise) right from the start.
  • There is a huge scope of things I can get help fixing. We’re not just talking about mechanical-level stuff here like cars and appliances, but also the artsy and craftsy stuff I know next to nothing about - like getting my niece’s home economics or shop class projects submitted well within their deadlines.
  • It’s easier to connect to an expert. Because it’s an app, it’s a simple matter of making a call like I would an Uber of a Lyft, and voila! There is almost always someone available to help me at the drop of a hat.