Work as a Remote Fashion Stylist - 3 Companies That'll Pay You for Fashion Expertise

If you’re a budding fashion stylist, here’s a list of sites where you can find remote online stylist jobs. They all give you a great opportunity to earn from your styling skills and fashion knowledge

What is a Remote Online Stylist?

The opportunities that are available in the sites I’ll be listing will be a little different from traditional styling jobs. In the traditional set-up, you meet the client, get to know them, and then make a selection of outfits based on the client’s personality. Sometimes, you will have to choose an outfit for a specific even, like a wedding or a fundraising gala. But one thing is constant - you need to physically meet your client.

There are a few key differences when you work as a remote online stylist. For starters, you don’t have to be physically present, which makes the job so much easier. Next, you’ll be working through web-based companies, which can either match you with individual clients or ask you to create an outfit for a pre-specified demographic. In the latter scenario, you become a sort of fashion curator, which is still pretty awesome!

You can’t beat the convenience of being a remote online stylist. You don’t have to run around town pulling out clothes from shops and hauling clothes racks to clients’ homes. It’s a home-based job, and because it’s home-based, many of us can participate in the field.

Where to Find Remote Online Stylist Jobs

Okay, you if you want to give this type of job a try, here’s a list of companies where you can start searching. They’re all rock-solid and give you the opportunity to share your fashion knowledge and outfitting skills!

1. Stitch Fix

Stitch Fix operates where stylists pick out clothes for subscribers. Men and women provide some info on their fashion preferences, and a team of stylists send them a subscription box filled with items of hand-picked clothing. The clients can keep the items they want and send back the ones they don’t.

These subscription boxes are sent monthly, meaning you’ll always have something to do. It’s awesome to curate clothes for people on a monthly basis. You can almost see their taste in clothing develop and change as the months go by.

As a remote stylist for Stitch Fix, you can opt to work part-time, which means being on-call for 15 to 29 hours each week. You can apply for a full-time position after 90 days.

Requirements on Stitch Fix

To work as a remote fashion stylist on Stitch Fix, you will need to meet the following skills and qualifications:

• The ability to help men and women find their personal style
  • Have a deep love and passion for fashion
  • The ability to establish a rapport with clients and build strong relationships with them
  • A self-starter, and able to manage schedules
  • Have a keen eye for detail

2. Rocksbox

If picking out clothes isn’t your thing, you can be a jewelry stylist - Rocksbox lets you do just that. Rocksbox is a shopping service for jewelry pieces. Each month, you will send a curated box of pieces to clients. You’ll be selecting jewelry from popular jewelry houses, such as House of Harlow.

Like in the previous two companies, you will be getting info on the client’s preferences and personalities, then curating the jewelry based on that information. Work hours are pretty flexible - anywhere from 10 to 40 hours per week - but you have to be willing to work on weekends, which is peak time for clients.

I love the idea of working as a jewelry stylist because accessories can be used more often. When someone wears a dress, it’ll be months (or even years) before they wear it again. But a client can always wear a particular piece, like a ring, and make that a signature element of their outfits.

Requirements on Rocksbox

To work as a remote jewelry stylist for Rocksbox, you will need to have the following skills and requirements:

• Familiar with current trends, and able to predict new ones
  • Know how to make good use of customer feedback
  • Self-starting and self-motivating
  • Have good computer skills

The Verdict: Legit or Scam?

Bombfell, Stitch Fix, and Rocksbox are all legit! They all require extensive training and specific skills, but that comes with the territory. If you possess the skills and traits they need, give this a try! Picking out clothes and accessories is a super-fun and rewarding occupation.

Okay, a straight-up confession from yours truly (who can be a bit unkempt at times, complete with flyaway hair, hot sauce-stained top, and general unruliness; I’m a WAHM, after all) - I always wanted to be a remote fashion stylist! But before I can embark on this semi-career (still not giving up my full-time gigs or even part-time ones), I knew I had to sort of shape up and make myself presentable. For clients to even trust me with their fashion choices, I have to show them that I know how to dress up and be stylish. So I went on a month-long makeover and got a nice haircut with highlights, learned how to do contouring and use flattering lip and eye colors, and updated my wardrobe to include a few classic staples like white and black tops and bottoms that have a timeless cut and design.

After that, I signed up with Stitch Fix. I was glad to meet the requirements (as Naomi enumerated above) because I genuinely have a keen eye for detail (I do organize parties and events), can communicate well with clients, is pretty OC about sticking to a schedule, and want to help other women find their own unique style.

So I went through the required training, and then it was time to curate articles of clothing for particular clients. It was a matter of listening to what the clients actually liked and taking their feedback to heart so that you can send them the kind of clothes they will actually wear and not return. I encourage clients to send me a virtual pegboard of clothes they want to wear, such as in Pinterest, and more often than not, we end up being on the same page. I’ve received good feedback from a lot of them, but unfortunately, there were some who called my choices “inappropriate” and even “tacky” lol.

I am liking my stint at Stitch Fix and learning something new with each “fix” I set up, so it’s all good. I learned that it’s a matter of truly listening to what the client wants to achieve and then meeting them halfway as a remote fashion stylist.

That’s an awesome story! I’m glad you gave this a try! This proves that you have to be a super-fashionista to do good as a remote styles. You just need to have a good eye for detail and communications - stuff you already have.