Words of Worth Review: Earn Money Writing Content From Home - Legit or Scam?

For freelance home-based writers like me (and maybe some of you as well), finding jobs to do and making sure I get paid properly and on time is fast becoming a challenge these days. There are so many fraudulent job advertisers out there that it’s become a case of once bitten, twice shy for many of us. But the allure of both working from home (minus all the hassles of a daily commute, interacting with boorish people, etc.) while improving our craft has kept me pursuing leads on good content creation jobs.

I recently heard about the online writing agency Words of Worth from a writer friend who swears by the site. At first, I thought it was a poetry-submission site (Wordsworth, get it?) so I wasn’t initially interested. But when I learned that they pay for articles based on the writer’s interests and areas of specialization, I decided to see what it’s all about.

Let’s take a closer look to see if it’s a legit way to earn from home, or a potential scam, shall we?

First things first - what is Words of Worth?

Words of Worth (WOW) is a site for freelance writers to get paid for writing unique content, including web pages, sales copy, articles, press releases, etc. Their motto, fittingly and punnily enough, is “Don’t wander lonely as a cloud (another Wordsworth reference, hah!), earn money writing from home!”

For all its literary cheekiness, though, the site requirements for its contractors are pretty straightforward: a great grasp of English, a reliable and fast Internet connection, a verifiable email address and contact number, punctuality, and a couple of hours to spare a week. As for the content itself? Basically, the kind of content the site demands depends on what their clients demand, which can cover different subjects ranging from art, automotive, entertainment, finance, through to marketing, sports, travel, etc.

How long has it been around?

The site was established in 2007 in Cheshire, UK. From the looks of it, WOW has always catered to the home-based writer niche (hurray!). Right now, the company hires writers from the US, UK (of course), Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Here’s hoping they will open their doors to other countries, soon.

Is registration free?

Application to be a writer is free, but requires your basic info, as well as ticking off some boxes to indicate the subjects you’re interested in writing about. You will also need to carefully read the terms and conditions (important for information on how, how much, and when you will be paid) before sending in your application.

Does it pay well?

There is a line under the site’s terms and conditions page saying “Payment can reach hundreds of pounds sterling per month” but of course, this is not something new contractors can expect right off the bat. Rates vary, depending on the topic, level of difficulty in the research involved, and length of an article. You do get a notice of how much earning to expect before accepting a writing assignment, though. There seem to be generally favorable reviews regarding payment on WOW, based on the contractors’ testimonies on the home page. The words “good way to earn extra money” and “flexible schedule” are typically mentioned.

At any rate, the site sends payment via bank transfer or PayPal. Payments arrive in your account approximately the 30th of the following month, as they are calculated at the end of the calendar month (provided all pending articles are satisfactorily completed).

How do I start earning extra income from Words of Worth?

There is something which Words of Worth calls “a fun quiz” to help determine if you have a good enough grasp of the English language - AKA your pre-registration exam to know if you’re up to par on the spelling and grammar aspects. I tried it out myself and got a 90% rating so I’m a shoo-in. I’m no genius, so don’t worry about not meeting the site’s standards, because the questions are pretty easy.

You can expect to do anywhere between 10 to 80 articles per monthly cycle, with general topics and resources provided. With new contractors, WOW usually asks submissions of a couple of articles for approval, and to gauge if the writers’ skills are a good fit for their clients’ needs. A typical article length is somewhere between 250-500 words, though things might vary according to the kind of writing needed.

But here is where we get to what could possibly be a deal breaker, even for yours truly. According to the site, applicants can get waitlisted for up to a month before even hearing back from WOW. The site is careful to explain about the staggering amount of applications they receive on a regular basis, but for writers who might need writing jobs ASAP, this setup might not be the best for them.

The verdict

Generally, I have observed that online writing platforms like Words of Worth have more stringent requirements and longer waiting times for payment and approval, compared to the more instantaneous nature of GPT and paid survey sites. Skill and experience can demand more payment and better-quality work, after all. Personally, it’s a great site to keep bookmarked when a freelance schedule becomes more flexible and accommodating. At the end of the day though, IF the goal is to earn extra money right away, it might not be the best recourse.

Words of Worth Screenshots

Your turn

Having shared my thoughts and feedback on Words of Worth, I would now like to know if writing for an online agency such as this would be something you think is worth considering, or if you would rather stick to GPT sites instead. Share your thoughts below!

Link: https://www.wordsofworth.org/

You say the site accepts writers from “the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand,” which means the site is available only for the writers where English is the first language. I am from Nepal and I use English as a second language. One of the problems the writers like me face is the unavailability of writing sites. I am happy to write on my own blog.