- Apr 16, 2018
Do you need extra cash? Are you looking for a part-time job wherein you hold your own time? Work if you want, and take an off day if necessary. There’s no boss to breathe down your neck.
What kind of work is that, though?
How about becoming a personal grocery shopper?
No, you’re not a delivery boy (or girl). You are a shopper. There’s a big difference. You buy the groceries fresh from the store, and you bring it to your client. If you have the time and don’t mind going to the store every day, then, why not? If it makes you earn cash, then, go for it!
There are some details first that you need to understand before getting into the personal grocery shopper line of work.
How Much Can I Earn As A Personal Grocery Shopper?
There’s no specific rate for a personal grocery shopper, these days. The payment for your service will depend on a few things, though.
- If you partner up with local shops, then, you will be paid on an hourly basis. There will also be a contract. The rate is at most $25 per hour.
- You can offer the service as a business. For example, ABC’s Personal Shopping Service. With that, you decide how much to charge for your shopping fee. If the grocery list is short, you can ask for $20. Others cost up to $50 per hour if the list is long and extensive.
- Some personal grocery shoppers don’t charge an hourly fee. They put 10% to 20% on top of the grocery amount paid as their service payment. If the list totals $50, then, they earn $5.
Personal Grocery Shopper Jobs
How do I become a personal grocery shopper? Here is some valuable information concerning the “business.”
Instacart: Groceries Delivered From Local Stores
Official website: https://shoppers.instacart.com/
Instacart is always looking for Full-Service and In-Store Shoppers. It’s not necessary for you to have a car to work at Instacart. All you need to do is shop for the fresh groceries and deliver it personally to the clients.
You can opt for weekly payment, and the work schedule is also flexible. If you want to earn more, work during peak hours or days. You can also choose when you take an off day.
What is a full-service shopper?
Full-service shoppers are like independent contractors. You need your car to do the shopping and grocery order delivery.
Instacart can facilitate the shopping experience through their app so that their customer can order groceries from their desired online stores. The full-service shopper will get all the orders via a mobile app and bring everything to the customer’s delivery address.
Requirements for Full-Service Shoppers (Instacart)
- Eighteen years old and above
- Able to work and eligible in the US
- Has a car
- At least two years driving experience with a license
- Owns a smartphone (at least an iPhone 4s or an Android running Ice Cream Sandwich or later)
- Can lift bags weighing 40 pounds on his/her own with/without help
If you’re already working in a grocery or other similar establishments, you will benefit from Instacart. These workers can use the said app for extra cash:
- Customer service representatives
- Stock managers
- Produce buyers
- Deli clerks
- Kitchen manager
- Truck driver
- Professional driver
- Taxi driver
- Food delivery driver
Shipt: Grocery Delivery
Official website: - https://www.shipt.com/
Shipt is a members-only grocery delivery service app. It is very in-demand these days, and the service is expanding to many cities and states in the US. Right now, they provide their shopping and delivery service in over 72 cities. They also offer the same things as Instacart, but they are vocal about the pay they give to their shoppers. Shipt proudly says that their shoppers earn $25 per hour.
Requirements for Full-Service Shoppers (Shipt)
- 18 years old and above
- Has a car (not older than 2003 model)
- An iPhone with iOS 8 or Android KitKat (V.10)
- Car insurance and a valid US driver’s license
- Passing a security check
- Insulated bag
- Knows how to pick fresh produce
- Can carry bags weighing 25 pounds
WeGoShop Personalized Grocery Shopping And Delivery
Official website: https://www.wegoshop.com/
This is the app for you if you want to start your very own grocery delivery business, customized according to your wants. There is an annual fee of $499 for these services included:
1. Website set-up with order system process
2. Website maintenance
3. Option to choose territories to service
4. Set up for business hours and rates
5. A @WeGoShop.com company email account
6. Toll-free voicemail service
7. Customized graphics
8. Personalized business cards (1000 pcs)
9. Various tips and advice on running the business
10. Additional phone and online support
11. Access to WeGoShop Owner’s Group
12. Can earn by owner referral bonus program
At WeGoShop, you will not pay for royalties. There are also no hidden charges. Profit sharing is not necessary, and there are no fine prints. All you have to do is secure the annual fee and the payments for the succeeding years. If you want to close your business, you can always cancel your contract with WeGoShop.
Start Your Own Delivery Business
You can start your own delivery business simply by paying the annual fees. Some people do this, and they excel at it. If you have the skills to organize your orders, as well as your time in delivering the groceries, then, you’re good to go. Be a self-employed personal grocery shopper!
Don’t forget that you need your vehicle and a reliable contact line. You must also have an ordering system for clients to list their needs. It is also vital that you shop efficiently and deliver with care. In short, you need to be organized and know how to multitask.
Market your service through leaflets and business cards. Social media is also a great tool to advertise your shopper service. Don’t forget the grocery checklist and how to collect the payments from your clients. It would be best if you have your website or mobile app since people love to do everything online now.
Work For A Grocery Shop In Town
You can search online for “personal shopper jobs,” and in less than a second, results within your area will show up. Go to these grocery stores who are in need of shoppers and apply. You can be a full time or part time shopper.
OUR VERDICT: Scam or Legit?
The apps mentioned in this article are 100% LEGIT. I’ve personally checked their websites, and all of it is in the personal shopper industry. They are all looking to shoppers to assist them, and if you’re interested, you better apply at Instacart or Shipt.
As for WeGoShop, it is a very LEGIT and helpful tool for those intending to professionalize their shopper business. It may cost you a bit extra each year, but at least you get technical support and set your own rates.
Have you tried Instacart, Shipt, or WeGoShop? What can you say about it? Is personal grocery shopping an excellent way to earn money? Give us your honest feedback!