- Apr 16, 2018
Are you interested in teaching English online? Want to get paid for doing what you love best which is educating people? Would you like to earn in $18-26 per hour of teaching English to non-English learners who are Chinese? If you answered YES to all these questions, then, Magic Ears may be the best online platform for you.
Magic Ears is a website which caters to the needs of Chinese students who want to adapt and learn the English language. The company is new (a little over a year old as of the date of this post), but stable. You might be one of the pioneering teachers there should you decide to apply for the position.
But first, this article is a review of how it works in Magic Ears. By the end of this thorough but adequately worded post, you will decide if Magic Ears is for you or not.
What Is Magic Ears?
Magic Ears is an ESL company with a home office in Beijing. ESL means “English as a Second Language.” With the connection between China and other English-speaking countries, talking about various business ventures, they want to learn how it is to converse in the language. It is the reason why Magic Ears offers this service. They want Chinese kids to learn English early on.
Each lesson is 25 minutes long, and per session, a teacher can accommodate up to 4 children. The classes are varied in a sense that it employs an integrated approach.
Teacher Requirements For Magic Ears
- You must have an ESL certificate.
- They want teachers with at least two years’ experience in teaching.
- If you don’t possess the two years teaching experience, then, it is necessary to make an introductory video so that your teaching personality is visible to the Magic Ears hiring panel.
- Your internet connection must be stable with a speed of 1Mbps. Backup internet is a plus.
- You must be a lively and spirited teacher.
- It is essential for you to speak English with a North American accent.
- Invest in a good webcam and headset.
- You must have a desktop computer or a laptop with at least a Windows 7 system.
- If you have a MAC, then, the OS X must be at least 10.11.
- Your CPU must be at least an i5 with a 2G RAM.
According to testimonies from other teachers, the application and interview process in Magic Ears may take up to two weeks. Now, here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply in Magic Ears.
- To submit your application for the teacher position in Magic Ears, you need to register an account in the teacher portal of Magic Ears.
- Ready all your necessary qualifications and documents. Upload your ESL certificate and resume to your account.
- Check your application if everything is filled up and if you have fulfilled all the necessary documents.
- In 48 hours, someone from Magic Ears will communicate to you through email and your teacher portal account.
One of the two options is needed for you to proceed with the application process. Whichever option you choose, you have to dress appropriately. Look professional, and if you can, wear a suit during the interview or recorded demo.
If you choose to record your demo lesson, you must take note of these details:
- You have to make a demo video that you are teaching using a tool in Magic Ears which they will instruct as soon as you apply. With that, an interviewer will assess your video.
- The demo video must not last for more than 10 minutes.
- You will have the opportunity to study the demo lesson (10 slides) in advance. Ready all the props that you will need for the demo lesson video before you start recording. There is no room for errors at this point.
- Be lively and smile during demo teaching.
- In 48 hours, they will contact you if you’re accepted or not. If you’ve been declined, you can apply again for the position in Magic Ears after three months.
1v4 And 1v1 Training
There are two training methods that you have to learn as a teacher in Magic Ears – the 1v4 and the 1v1. The training is paid, and you will schedule it at your own convenient time.
The 1v4 training consists of four teachers and one trainer which will last for half an hour. With this, the trainer will tell you of Magic Ears policy and teacher expectations for each session.
As for the 1v1 training, you will use the Magic Ears platform, and it will last for up to 45 minutes. Here you will learn all about classroom teaching and materials. The materials are given to you ahead of time.
After completing the 1v4 and 1v1, you will then have to undergo the trial class. All materials in the session will be sent before the event. In trial class, you will teach four learners, and your supervisors will evaluate the 25-minute session.
If you showed potential, the supervisors would offer you a contract subject to a background check. Sometimes, teachers are declined at this point. If you made a few mistakes, you might be given a second chance, and again, you have to complete a second trial class with flying colors.
Magic Ears Contract And Background Check
Complete the background check requirements so that you can move on to Magic Ears’ 6-month contract. Once everything is in order, you may now handle sessions online.
It is crucial to open your teaching week to at least five hours (10 slots). Also, be sure to schedule lessons at least two weeks ahead.
Booking Your Sessions At Magic Ears
Sessions at Magic Ears is composed of 25 minutes per class with up to four students. Bookings for teaching hours are scheduled at the Teacher Portal 24 hours in advance.
It is advisable to open your teaching schedule to at least ten slots each week. An automated system will book your lessons according to your teacher rank (from the feedback of parents and your supervisor), but the parents don’t get to choose which teacher will handle their child.
If ever you get negative feedback, the supervisor has to verify this by being present during your classes. Plan your lessons and use appropriate teaching tools.
All sessions are conducted in Magic Ear’s integrative platform:
- The platform has a quick-acting HELP function.
- You can send virtual rewards to your students with the REWARD button.
- The screens are movable for the kids' benefit.
- Screen blow up for the 1v4 selection is allowable – for better articulation and communication.
- The teacher can allow or disallow the students to draw on the screen.
- Mute and screen off option available.
One can teach in Magic Ears following the Beijing time zone. The usual schedule is Saturday to Sunday at 630 to 830 in the evening. At times, special sessions slots will be opened.
How Much Is The Payment?
The regular pay for each session at Magic Ears is $9. But it can go up to $26 depending on a variety of factors. It is also possible to gain bonuses, and it is done this way:
- $1 bonus for every class wherein you come in at 10 minutes before the schedule.
- $1 bonus for every session if your monthly availability is more than 60 slots.
Teachers at Magic Ears can also have a raise of up to $26 per session. With bonuses and all, it is possible for a teacher to earn quarterly for $50.
There are three payment methods used in Magic Ears – Paypal, Alipay, and Fund Transfer through the bank. Payment slips processed before the 8th of each month will be included in the invoice verified every 10th of the same.
OUR VERDICT: Scam Or Legit
Magic Ears may be new, but it’s not a scam. This company is 100% LEGIT, and it offers better pay compared to its competitors. Teachers have the opportunity to earn much more with the bonuses and all, but if you are a great educator, making $26 within the first six months of your contract in Magic Ears is doable.
Magic Ears Screenshots
Click to Zoom
Are you a Magic Ears teacher? Can you tell us more about the company, your classes, the students, and how it works? We are looking forward to your comments down below!
Ref URL: https://t.mmears.com?referralCode=T223954