LEGIT How To Earn $20 An Hour Working From Home

Fred W

Padawan
Jun 14, 2018
How To Earn $20 An Hour Working From Home.jpg

What can $20 get you nowadays? Probably one of those fancy blended drinks at Starbucks, along with a sandwich or a pastry. Or you can be smart about it, and buy a domain name plus a couple of months worth of hosting for your dream website. Twenty dollars a week can also go to your emergency fund or that savings account you intend to build up for luxury things, like traveling, dining out in a fancy restaurant once in a while, or just about anything you can’t splurge your regular income on because it’s impractical but fun.

I guess what I’m saying is, while $20 in hand might not seem like much, having it regularly (like hourly) can add it up and make it so much more valuable. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to punch in and out of an office setup every single day in order to earn more or less this amount to make a living. Working from home can earn you this much in an hour, depending on your field of expertise or past work experience or portfolio.

Online tutoring/language teaching sessions

The really good thing about teaching online via a virtual setup is that you practically will never run out of students! Yup, from pre-school to K-12, through to those needing help with standardized tests or a new language, you can count on a virtual teaching gig that can help you augment your regular income. If you think you’re up for it, here are a few platforms to consider that can earn you around $20 an hour.
  • Revolution Prep - as an A-rated company, Revolution Prep offers an attractive benefits package to people who work with them, including medical, dental, vision, and some disability insurance. They pride themselves in being a “performance-driven” educational company and allow home-based instructors who preferably have had previous teaching experience and are team players.
  • Manhattan Prep - boasting of giving “the best pay in the industry” at $106–$116/hr. plus end-of-year bonuses and a flexible schedule, Manhattan Prep does have a very attractive incentive. There are currently lots of GMAT and LSAT teaching positions available depending on your location, which you can apply for as long as you meet their standards.
  • Language Services Associates - the company delivers multilingual customer service (interpretation and translation services for those who are hard of hearing, etc.) to contact centers and other business clients. They promise competitive rates for work-from-home qualified linguists, as well as timely payments and the freedom to choose your work schedule.
  • Chegg - Chegg not only pays their tutors $20 an hour, but they pay on a weekly basis, too! You can tutor students online practically anywhere - in the comfort of your own home, in a coffee shop, or just about anywhere with a reliable internet access, and where you are comfortable and relaxed.
  • Math Elf - I really believe that everyone needs a math teacher, at least from my POV as a math-deficient student :D Math Elf offers students help with any kind of math subject, whether it’s a K-12 or a college level one. Tutors can enjoy a flexible schedule on top of the expected $20 an hour.
  • Magoosh - Magoosh is all about standardized tests - the kind we all really need to prepare for if we are to aim for good, steady futures! Calling themselves “the happiest company in education”, a career with Magoosh spells out a flexible work-from-home setup with a vacation policy thrown in for good measure!
  • Student Tutor - Student Tutor currently offers $23 an hour to SAT and ACT prep tutors and about $16 an hour for different academic subjects for a wide variety of students on different levels.
  • GeeklyLab - If you’re a proud geek who wants to lend a geeky helping hand to students and others who need help with research papers and other similar projects, try this one on for size. GeeklyLab can pay you around $20 per hour to assist and provide structure to researchers who might need a bit of help in that area.
  • EduBoard - Structured like a Q&A website but with more academic inclinations, EduBoard gives you a chance to answer posted questions in-depth via a 30-minute online session that can earn you $20!
Remote healthcare

If you’re a nurse, or have some experience working in a hospital, clinic, or pharmacy, and can do some training on medical transcription and some customer care, you can earn remotely in the healthcare industry. Because there is some training involved, and medical backgrounds are usually favored, the pay rate for these kinds of jobs is usually higher than most work-from-home tasks.
  • iMedEx - the work involved is medical transcription, which does require some prior experience as accuracy and some familiarity with medical terms are expected. You can opt for a part-time, full time, or even a weekend work schedule while working from home.
  • Envision Pharma - open to Europe/UK, Asia Pacific, and North America, Envision Pharma has job opportunities for remote workers in a variety of fields, including creative, operational, scientific, group, technology, editorial, market access, and program support.
  • InDemand Interpreting - when you work for InDemand Interpreting, you’re basically going to serve as the bridge between the patient and the health provider via your medical background and language skills. This is a very good and helpful platform for translating healthcare needs. You will need a couple of years prior experience as a translator, and if you can work fast, you’re looking at earning at least $20 per hour of translation.
  • Circle Link Health - promising competitive salaries, flexible hours, a fun team to work with, and a host of other benefits to remote workers, Circle Link Health looks to be always hiring new people, so give it a spin!
  • Carenet - Carenet generously gives potential hires a detailed description of what they currently need, which, as of this writing, include a work-from-home RN clinical advisor complete with a license, three years of experience, and a willingness to work on a full-time capacity.
Other remote positions for different industries

There are so many industries looking to outsource work to home-based people like you and me if you only know where to look. The good news is, these businesses seem to really want to make it worth your while to work for them, minus the inconvenience and stress that commuting and punching in and out of work bring. Below are just some of them with good feedback from home-based workers:
The verdict?

Want to earn $20 an hour to pave the way for your other business or career ambitions? Or maybe to even just treat yourself and your loved ones to some awesome adventures or recreational experiences because you deserve it? If you know where to look, you will find a job that will pay you this much, or even more. True, a lot of them require experience and some technical know-how, but there are also ones where you can play to your strengths and passion.

Your turn!

Have you ever gotten a home-based gig that paid you $20 or more? How did you find the experience, and would you recommend it to others here? Share your feedback and advice below.

ruthmongare

Rookie Wordsmith
Jun 6, 2018
Ooh woow that's so much for starting this thread. Seems like this is what have been looking for. I hope all of them are legit. I'll try them out the share with members.

Reactions: Fred W

Fred W

Padawan
Jun 14, 2018
I am trying Humanatic, It is a call reviewing site. I heard a lot about the site being a good.paying site. I have signed up and was accepted and passed to be a part of the site. But I was there only for part time and that time I was a little busy and was not able to log in for some time. I guess I have to try again.
I think in the case of most of these sites, it's really keeping at it that's the secret to success :)

a_jerobon

Padawan
Jul 3, 2018
Kenya
View attachment 2298

What can $20 get you nowadays? Probably one of those fancy blended drinks at Starbucks, along with a sandwich or a pastry. Or you can be smart about it, and buy a domain name plus a couple of months worth of hosting for your dream website. Twenty dollars a week can also go to your emergency fund or that savings account you intend to build up for luxury things, like traveling, dining out in a fancy restaurant once in a while, or just about anything you can’t splurge your regular income on because it’s impractical but fun.

I guess what I’m saying is, while $20 in hand might not seem like much, having it regularly (like hourly) can add it up and make it so much more valuable. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to punch in and out of an office setup every single day in order to earn more or less this amount to make a living. Working from home can earn you this much in an hour, depending on your field of expertise or past work experience or portfolio.

Online tutoring/language teaching sessions

The really good thing about teaching online via a virtual setup is that you practically will never run out of students! Yup, from pre-school to K-12, through to those needing help with standardized tests or a new language, you can count on a virtual teaching gig that can help you augment your regular income. If you think you’re up for it, here are a few platforms to consider that can earn you around $20 an hour.
  • Revolution Prep - as an A-rated company, Revolution Prep offers an attractive benefits package to people who work with them, including medical, dental, vision, and some disability insurance. They pride themselves in being a “performance-driven” educational company and allow home-based instructors who preferably have had previous teaching experience and are team players.
  • Manhattan Prep - boasting of giving “the best pay in the industry” at $106–$116/hr. plus end-of-year bonuses and a flexible schedule, Manhattan Prep does have a very attractive incentive. There are currently lots of GMAT and LSAT teaching positions available depending on your location, which you can apply for as long as you meet their standards.
  • Language Services Associates - the company delivers multilingual customer service (interpretation and translation services for those who are hard of hearing, etc.) to contact centers and other business clients. They promise competitive rates for work-from-home qualified linguists, as well as timely payments and the freedom to choose your work schedule.
  • Chegg - Chegg not only pays their tutors $20 an hour, but they pay on a weekly basis, too! You can tutor students online practically anywhere - in the comfort of your own home, in a coffee shop, or just about anywhere with a reliable internet access, and where you are comfortable and relaxed.
  • Math Elf - I really believe that everyone needs a math teacher, at least from my POV as a math-deficient student :D Math Elf offers students help with any kind of math subject, whether it’s a K-12 or a college level one. Tutors can enjoy a flexible schedule on top of the expected $20 an hour.
  • Magoosh - Magoosh is all about standardized tests - the kind we all really need to prepare for if we are to aim for good, steady futures! Calling themselves “the happiest company in education”, a career with Magoosh spells out a flexible work-from-home setup with a vacation policy thrown in for good measure!
  • Student Tutor - Student Tutor currently offers $23 an hour to SAT and ACT prep tutors and about $16 an hour for different academic subjects for a wide variety of students on different levels.
  • GeeklyLab - If you’re a proud geek who wants to lend a geeky helping hand to students and others who need help with research papers and other similar projects, try this one on for size. GeeklyLab can pay you around $20 per hour to assist and provide structure to researchers who might need a bit of help in that area.
  • EduBoard - Structured like a Q&A website but with more academic inclinations, EduBoard gives you a chance to answer posted questions in-depth via a 30-minute online session that can earn you $20!
Remote healthcare

If you’re a nurse, or have some experience working in a hospital, clinic, or pharmacy, and can do some training on medical transcription and some customer care, you can earn remotely in the healthcare industry. Because there is some training involved, and medical backgrounds are usually favored, the pay rate for these kinds of jobs is usually higher than most work-from-home tasks.
  • iMedEx - the work involved is medical transcription, which does require some prior experience as accuracy and some familiarity with medical terms are expected. You can opt for a part-time, full time, or even a weekend work schedule while working from home.
  • Envision Pharma - open to Europe/UK, Asia Pacific, and North America, Envision Pharma has job opportunities for remote workers in a variety of fields, including creative, operational, scientific, group, technology, editorial, market access, and program support.
  • InDemand Interpreting - when you work for InDemand Interpreting, you’re basically going to serve as the bridge between the patient and the health provider via your medical background and language skills. This is a very good and helpful platform for translating healthcare needs. You will need a couple of years prior experience as a translator, and if you can work fast, you’re looking at earning at least $20 per hour of translation.
  • Circle Link Health - promising competitive salaries, flexible hours, a fun team to work with, and a host of other benefits to remote workers, Circle Link Health looks to be always hiring new people, so give it a spin!
  • Carenet - Carenet generously gives potential hires a detailed description of what they currently need, which, as of this writing, include a work-from-home RN clinical advisor complete with a license, three years of experience, and a willingness to work on a full-time capacity.
Other remote positions for different industries

There are so many industries looking to outsource work to home-based people like you and me if you only know where to look. The good news is, these businesses seem to really want to make it worth your while to work for them, minus the inconvenience and stress that commuting and punching in and out of work bring. Below are just some of them with good feedback from home-based workers:
The verdict?

Want to earn $20 an hour to pave the way for your other business or career ambitions? Or maybe to even just treat yourself and your loved ones to some awesome adventures or recreational experiences because you deserve it? If you know where to look, you will find a job that will pay you this much, or even more. True, a lot of them require experience and some technical know-how, but there are also ones where you can play to your strengths and passion.

Your turn!

Have you ever gotten a home-based gig that paid you $20 or more? How did you find the experience, and would you recommend it to others here? Share your feedback and advice below.
Wow! These are really good ways to earn money online. Thank you for letting us know. I will try out most of them, I have been looking for ways to earn more.

NickBlaine

Padawan
Jun 14, 2018
I’m here to vouch for the legitimacy of Chegg as an online job that earns you $20 an hour just working from home. As Fred mentioned, not only do they stay true to the $20 an hour promise, but also that they pay weekly. It’s so convenient, especially when I have to pay bills and do groceries! No more writing post-dated checks to pay for stuff!

Chegg’s motto is “Everything is figureoutable” which just about sums up the company’s overall vision-mission. Its primary service is providing textbooks at low rates for students to purchase and use as reference. However, the tutorial services which I was part of (albeit very briefly, because I had to cut it short due to some family thing) is something I can’t fault. For starters, they gave me so many tools to work with which made giving lessons so much easier. I had a virtual whiteboard to demonstrate some of the finer points of the lessons over the chat window. I mostly taught History, but if you have a specific educational specialty, the company also offers openings to tutor on Math, English, Accounting, Algebra, Economics, Finance, and many other subjects.

Sometimes I still log in so I can answer some of the short questions thrown our way by students needing help. Even those very short answers earn me a minimum of $5, so even though I miss doing longer hours on Chegg, it’s nice to have bite-sized options to still earn through them. Especially since they’re quite punctual about payment!

Reactions: Ben_the_Hobbit

Holden

Rookie Wordsmith
May 16, 2018
I started uploading courses on Udemy, but that was before I saw this great list. When I was considering online teaching as a valid money-earning method, Udemy was sort of the go-to site. I think I’m far to invested in Udemy right now to consider other sites, but I wish I had read Fred’s list on how to make $20 working from home first.

But for anyone looking to consider teaching online. I thought I’d share some tips. Online teaching usually comes in two different flavors.

For the first one, you upload pre-recorded lessons to the site, and you get paid whenever someone views it. This is what i did at Udemy. The advantage here is that you don’t need to fix your schedule around the student’s sched. You can basically work at your own convenience. The downside is that you can’t really establish a personal connection with the student. And that connection is important, because they can refer you to other students. When they watch a video of you, there isn’t a connection, and I’ve rarely gotten referrals that way.

The second one involves actual interaction with students. This is more fulfilling if you prefer face-to-face interactions. The downside is you need to be online at the agreed-upon time. And when your student lives half a world away, you need to be prepared to be up and ready to give your lesson in the wee hours of the morning.

Naomi

Padawan
Jun 13, 2018
These are awesome work from home methods, Fred W.! I’d like to add my own money-making method to this: working as a virtual online assistant. I’ve written about the gig in a different thread here on ETB, but just in case people missed that comment, I’d like to add that option here.

I think working as a virtual online assistant is a pretty engaging and rewarding job. It’s not a casual job, though. Although you’ll be mostly working part-time. The job demands professionalism, discretions, and other life skills. One of the main requirements I’ve found (although it isn’t always specified) is the ability to juggle different schedules - not just your client’s.

That’s because most of your work will be coordinating schedules. For example, if your client has a vacation planned, that affects the schedules of people your clients works with. So if your client wants to have a meeting scheduled, you need to take into account both the schedules of your client and the person they need to meet. So it’s a juggling act. And then when you need to organize a client’s holiday trip you need to manage the schedules of their kids and spouse.

It’s a challenging job, but you can earn $15 to $70 per hour doing this!

Reactions: blount2

bojel

Padawan
Aug 16, 2018
These are really good earning opportunities for those who have skill sets like those in all the above-mentioned positions. I want to take a chance with online teaching because it is the most known work at home jobs here in my country.

camisa74

How to Stretch the American $$
Jun 2, 2018
United States
I’m here to vouch for the legitimacy of Chegg as an online job that earns you $20 an hour just working from home. As Fred mentioned, not only do they stay true to the $20 an hour promise, but also that they pay weekly. It’s so convenient, especially when I have to pay bills and do groceries! No more writing post-dated checks to pay for stuff!

Chegg’s motto is “Everything is figureoutable” which just about sums up the company’s overall vision-mission. Its primary service is providing textbooks at low rates for students to purchase and use as reference. However, the tutorial services which I was part of (albeit very briefly, because I had to cut it short due to some family thing) is something I can’t fault. For starters, they gave me so many tools to work with which made giving lessons so much easier. I had a virtual whiteboard to demonstrate some of the finer points of the lessons over the chat window. I mostly taught History, but if you have a specific educational specialty, the company also offers openings to tutor on Math, English, Accounting, Algebra, Economics, Finance, and many other subjects.

Sometimes I still log in so I can answer some of the short questions thrown our way by students needing help. Even those very short answers earn me a minimum of $5, so even though I miss doing longer hours on Chegg, it’s nice to have bite-sized options to still earn through them. Especially since they’re quite punctual about payment!
Do you have to have a Degree in Education... I have a Degree in Accounting

Fred W

Padawan
Jun 14, 2018
I think I asked the question incorrectly... What I meant to say is Do they require a Degree in Education... I have an Accounting Degree, so I was just wondering what the requirements to apply...
Hi, camisa74! If it's Chegg in particular you are wondering about, their requirements for tutors are:
  • must have tutoring, instructing, or teaching experience
  • must be enrolled or have graduated from a 4-year university
  • must have a Facebook account to verify your identity
  • must be willing to answer some basic questions from Chegg before being allowed to select the subjects where you are a subject matter expert.
It usually takes about a week before you can get approved because Chegg will do some verifying regarding your area of expertise, as well as educational background. And yes, I do believe there are Accounting subjects that need to be filled!

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Holden

Rookie Wordsmith
May 16, 2018
Camisa: to add to what Fred said (hey that rhymes, lol), yeah, a degree is required. Since you have an accounting background, you can try teaching that. I think the online teaching community needs more math (specifically accounting and business math) teachers.

I’m an English and lit major, and I think there’s a shortage of accounting instructors. Most online instructors try to teach courses like English and language skills, mostly due to globalism and all that. But that shortage of accounting instructors is a great opportunity for you.

How do you feel about teaching a numbers-related course online? A few math co-teachers in the college I teach were hesitant to give online teaching a chance, since they didn’t think they would be able to translate their lessons for an online audience. So that’s one thing you need to consider. Teaching language courses is simpler than teaching math, I think.

But don’t let that stop you. Like said, the market for accounting courses is currently untapped. I would suggest fine-tuning your lessons for an online audience. Since so many people are looking for these types of courses, you should come out swinging. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you start your online teaching journey!

Reactions: camisa74