• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LEGIT Five Best Jobs for a Pregnant WAHM

Page 1 of 1

June

Five Best Jobs for a Pregnant WAHM.jpg

When I finally decided to be a home-based career woman, I was also pregnant at the time with my third child. It was good timing, too - I was stress-free from not being in a toxic work environment, and being at home meant having a sense of security and privacy while I was preparing to give birth. At the same time, I was able to assess the kind of work I can do while gestating - how do I earn the kind of money that can ease the transition from being an office-goer to a full time work-at-home mom? Also, save enough for the inevitable expenses that go with having a newborn baby: diapers, formula, baby clothes, accessories, toys, etc.?

I tried several jobs (and failed a couple of times at them), upon the recommendation of family and friends. Eventually, I managed to stick to several that, while they didn’t pay the same amount as a full-time job, did help me save enough money for baby essentials while keeping me busy until the day I was ready to give birth. Here are five of the best ones I’ve tried (even beyond pregnancy!).

1) Clothes consignment

If you have kids, you will probably be familiar with how fast they grow up, especially during babyhood to toddlerhood! My middle child got hand-me-downs from her older sibling, so it wasn’t such a wrench to see them outgrow clothes quickly. However, infant clothes, in particular, seem to be the ones that hardly get used - or even not at all! Babies have a magical way of growing longer and wider in weeks, it seems, so my husband and I were left with lots of unopened layette sets and baby clothes that still have their price tags on them.

Good thing I discovered thredUP, which calls itself “the world’s largest online secondhand shopping destination”. It’s like a virtual thrift shop selling “like-new” items which are carefully curated by their in-house stylists, so you know you’re getting good quality clothes. They have an online consignment platform, which I found especially useful when I needed extra cash for new baby stuff.

2) Ghostwriting

I wrote about the pros and cons of ghostwriting in a previous article and concluded that it’s a good gig to get by during a period like pregnancy, or in-between more permanent jobs. While pregnant, I found ghostwriting tasks via Textbroker, a site that “brokers” content between writers like myself and clients that need fresh content.

What I can’t deny about ghostwriting though, is how good it pays if you’re lucky enough to get a serious client. The pay scale varies depending on the client, the type and scope of work, and how long the project will be for. However, there is an average of $47.50 according to PayScale.com for ghostwriters who charge hourly!

3) Website testing

Being a website tester is easy, and pays quite well! We’re looking at $10 for at least a 20-minute work, and that’s pretty much it! I applied at WhatUsersDo to become a tester, and it was a simple matter of signing up in a couple of minutes and then getting paid to test websites! With no previous experience required! If you’ve ever signed up and worked for GPT and paid survey sites, the structure is pretty similar, but the pay is a lot better with website testing.

4) Paid survey taking

Speaking of paid survey sites, it would be criminal if I don’t mention what most of us here in this forum do for extra income :) The advantages of being a member of a survey site are numerous - you have control of your time and schedule, you can choose which ones offer the kind of rewards that are worth your time (cash, gift cards, or just about anything!), and you could collect your earnings as a passive income before choosing to cash out!

5) Online tutoring

Much has been said in this forum and elsewhere about the merits of being an online tutor. There are so many sites and apps out there using the online tutorial platform that it’s not going to be hard to get a job as a tutor at all. You can choose to teach elementary-level lessons up to senior high school, or if you have the kind of teaching experience required for it, even college and grad school levels! The pay rates vary but most sites make sure their tutors are happy with what they earn, so they can be competitive prices.

I personally like Tutapoint (reviewed here) for the kind of tutorial subjects they offer, plus the fact that they have a flexible schedule for pregnant moms (like me during that time).

The verdict?

There are many other home-based jobs for expectant moms who can choose them according to their lifestyle, schedules, and other personal issues that need to be considered. What makes the ones I listed above legit is that they are all online and relatively pressure-free, so no commuting, being around people (for both mental and physical hygienic reasons), and you’re going to be working in a place you’re familiar and secure with! For me at least, that is the main and greatest reason to try them out while waiting for your precious little one to pop out.

Your turn!

Are you a mom with a bun in the oven, or have you ever been one and decided to work from home while pregnant? What kind of work did you do, and is it something you would recommend to other expectant moms? Please share your thoughts and experiences with us.

Janine F Warren

thanks so much for this!!! no longer preggo but i do have lots of leftover baby clothes from when my son was very little their in v.good condition and hardly worn so the info about 2nd hand clothes consigment will be a huge help! :)

Fred W

I’m obviously not a WAHM (much less a pregnant one lol!), but this best jobs list is something I can actually relate to. When my wife was pregnant with our second child, she had to take a maternity leave from the school where she was part of the faculty. But she somehow got restless, especially since I was still working in an office back then. So she thought of doing some online tutoring via Tutapoint. As June mentioned, the company offers a flexible schedule that’s perfectly suited for a pregnant WAHM.

I asked her about her experience recently and she sent me a list of condensed feedback, which I thought of sharing with you today:
  • She preferred the one-on-one sessions which more often than not consisted of helping students get the day’s homework done.
  • Another reason for the above? While the schedule is flexible, she was able to set aside time for her students to tutor them after school - which is often in the late afternoon to the early evening (giving me enough time to get home and rustle up some dinner for both of us plus our toddler).
  • While her Tutapoint salary couldn’t, of course, match what she was earning as a regular teacher, she did earn enough for us to work towards a diaper fund.
  • She actually said that if motherhood the second time around and a heavier workload at the school didn’t beckon, she would have stuck with Tutapoint!
So in a nutshell, yeah it was a good experience (online tutoring) for my pregnant wife back then!

Page 1 of 1