LEGIT Challenges We Work-From-Home Moms Encounter

Naomi

Padawan
Jun 13, 2018
Challenges We Work-From-Home Moms Encounter.jpg

As a mother who also happens to work from home, I tend to encounter a set of challenges that are unique to us moms. If you’re reading this and you’re a work from home mom, don’t worry. Someone here on the internet (me) gets you. We’re not alone in this! Here are some of the common challenges we face, when I can I also provide some tips on how to overcome them.

1. We’re Expected to Multi-Task

Now, this item alone could fill an entire article (probably more than one article, actually). As a work-from-home mom, I don’t have the luxury of being in work mode. At any given moment, I may have to become a chef, house cleaner, caretaker, mediator between to quarreling kids, and even home repair person… basically, all the things moms need to be. But even if I’m working, I can never switch off being a mom.

But guess what? Multitasking moms kick ass! No one can juggle multiple tasks like we do!

2. Dwindling Motivation

When you’re in the office, the presence of a boss hovering over you and the general activity around the office can be a motivating factor. It doesn’t always have to be pleasant, but having my boss around keeps me on edge, and that, in turn, motivates me to be more productive.

But when you work from home… there aren’t any bosses spurring you on. I actually experienced a bit of a funk when I first started working from home. How did I get out of it? By finding my “true” motivation: my two beautiful kids. No boss or office competition can replace the motivation my kids give me. In effect, they are my bosses now.

3. Lack of Physical Activity

As work-from-home mom, my commute involves standing up after breakfast… and walking a few meters to my workplace. Pretty long and arduous, right? (Sarcasm very much intended) But no longer having to go through the mosh pit that is the subway or running from one meeting room to another, isn’t necessarily a good thing. The lack of movement and the overall sedentary lifestyle that working from home brings can also be harmful.

4. Difficulty Finding Space to Work

I’ve written about the importance of having a dedicated place to work. That way, your mind doesn’t mix up being work and home modes. Easier said than done, of course. I think finding a space that can be used just for work is one of our biggest challenges.

5. “Workplace” Stress

Just because we don’t have to deal with the common causes of stress in a traditional workplace doesn’t exempt us from feeling stressed out. All the items listed here can contribute to that stress.

But whenever I get bogged down, I keep reminding myself of perhaps the greatest advantage of working from home: control. We work-from-home moms may have to face a multitude of challenges on a daily basis, but we actually have a lot of control over things. We can’t control our environment and the people around us, we can control how we react to those things.

Your Turn

These are the challenges I think work from home moms usually face. Now it’s your turn to share! Have you encountered any other challenges? How did you overcome them?

Let’s hear your stories!